Hardcore photography? Yes. H-core for sure. The Olympus 1030 sw is a small digital camera (pocket cameras) as I call them. This camera is bad to the bone. I’m hard on my equipment. My last pocket cam was a Canon SD300. It did the job but it’s showing its age as I’ve been rough as could be on it.
Awhile back I heard about this camera my buddy had. He said it was shock proof, water proof, freeze proof, and just all around pretty awesome. I had a hard time believing that. So on and so forth the time came for me to get a new camera and I did my research and my homework and came to the conclusion that the 1030 SW is the camera for me.
I read several reviews by military folk who beat the hell out of this camera and love it to death.
Here are a few specs
Stylus 1030 SW Features:
- 10.1-megapixel effective CCD and 3.6x Wide optical zoom lens
- Shock Proof (MIL-STD-810F) up to 6.6ft (2m)
- Waterproof (equivalent to IEC6059 IPX8/JISC0920) up to 33ft. (10m)
- Freezeproof (-10°C/14°F) and Dustproof
- Crushproof up to 220lbf. (100kgf)
- 29 shooting modes – 24 are preprogrammed Scene modes (including 4 Underwater modes)
- 2.7-inch HyperCrystal II LCD with 230,000 pixel resolution and 5 steps of brightness adjustment
- Olympus’ Shadow Adjustment, Face Detection and Digital Image Stabilization technologies
- AVI format movies 640×480/320×240 at either 30 or 15fps with audio
- Record 640×480 (30fps) video until memory is full when using Type M+ or H xD cards with Firmware v1.1
- Add voice memos to still pictures
- ISO sensitivity; Auto, 80 – 1600
- Built-in all-weather speaker and microphone
- 14.7MB of internal memory
- Card slot supports xD-Picture Cards up to 2GB as well as microSD (MASD-1 adapter is required)
- Auto-Connect USB for easy image transfer to computer
- Direct printing to any PictBridge compatible printer
- LI-50B Lithium rechargeable battery and charger included
- Optional PT-041 underwater housing (US$279) for up to 40 meter depth
Some of the things that REALLY stand out besides all the “proofs” are the 10 Megapixel sensor. Now granted you don’t NEED to shoot in 10MP. I personally set the camera in 5MP mode and am totally pleased. Also the huge screen. 2.7in. It’s awesome. The internal memory. Now, I know its not much at just of 15MB but still. If for some reason you forgot your memory card. You aren’t out of luck. I’ve done this on more than on ocasion with my DSLR. Finally we have the operation of the camera. That last thing that really stands out is smooth it is when you take a picture. The flash and shutter are almost silent. It seems like everything just fits together so great.
Now, the bad. The memory card slot take 2 kinds. xD and Microsd with an adapter. I’ve come to have a nice little collection of SD and CF cards. With the purchase of this camera I’ve had to add one more. xD. I found a pretty decent deal on Newegg.com. 2GB for about $28 + shipping. Another that really grinds my gears is the USB cable. It’s not the standard USB to mini USB. It is a 12 pin USB cable. I was able to find a spare on ebay for about $6 including shipping. I always like to hav a spare around just in case. So far those are the only two major issues I’ve found with my new little pocket cam.
We’ll see how it does in a dirty river tomorrow when I go floating.